posted June 24, 2007 12:41 AM
This is for all my fellow Torontonians out there... I could actually identify with a few of these!!
You Know You're A Torontonian When...
1. You turn your nose up at any establishment frequented by the S&M crowd in
Scarborough and Mississauga. (wha..?)
2. A really great parking spot can move you to tears.
3. You can recommend about 3 good body piercing parlours.
4. You make well over $100,000 and you still can't find a nice place to live.
5. You take pride in being able to walk through Chinatown in the dead of summer without holding your breath.
6. You realize there are far more rainbow flags in the city than Canadian flags.
7. When the temperature rises above zero degrees, you yell "Woohooo! Patio weather!"
8. You enjoy watching channel 47 multicultural TV.
9. You're guaranteed to know at least one person on every episode of Speaker's Corner. (not me..)
10. You haven't been to the CN Tower since you were 6, but still have nightmares about that damn turbo elevator.
11. You've had at least 3 bicycles stolen in the past 10 years.
12. You've partied with at least one of the members of The Kids in the Hall.
13. You can name at least three locations of The Beer Store that are open till 11 PM.
14. At least 3 of your friends have moved to Vancouver.
15. You never, never, never swim in the lake.
16. You know "The Beaches" are really called "The Beach", but still say "The
Beaches" just to annoy all the nitwits who live there.
17. You've had a birthday party at the Organ Grinder.
18. You can say "world's tallest freestanding structure" ten times fast.
19. You know the correct answer to "Where do shopping carts go to die?" is "The Don River".
20. You speak better Chinese than French.
21. The word "Cabbagetown" doesn't strike you as particularly amusing.
22. Castle Frank subway station remains one of the great mysteries of the universe for you.
23. You know what the bathrooms in the First Canadian Place are REALLY for.
24. You don't know where Fort York is, but have a vague recollection of being there in a past life.
25. You know the Demic's song "I Wanna Go To New York City" was intended as sarcasm, not a weekend getaway suggestion.
26. You know where to find Dim Sum, Sushi, Curry and Pad Thai at 3 am on a weeknight.
27. For the last time, it's pronounced 'TRONNA'!
28. You consider eye contact a sign of hostility and an invasion of your privacy. (used to feel a bit strange before, but I've now gotten used to having long conversations with strangers from living in friendly North Carolina!)
29. It takes you half an hour to get to work by TTC and you are the envy of all your friends.
30. You mourned the death of the Spadina Bus.
31. You laugh heartily at people who refer to highway four hundred and one.
32. You've taken the Vomit Comet.
33. You can manoeuvre your bike across Queen St. without getting caught in the streetcar tracks.
34. You know the difference between souvlaki, moussaka and spanakopita.
35. You have NEVER been to the Hard Rock Cafe. (i actually have..)
36. It takes you 30 minutes to get to work, which makes you the envy of all your friends.
37. Your out-of-town friends have called you to report they saw your house in the background footage of an evening crime story on television.
38. You know someone who went to high school with a member of the Barenaked Ladies. (woo! I sure do!!)
39. You know the construction crane is, of course, Toronto's native bird.
40. You can not only spell "Roncesvalles" but darn near pronounce it.
41. You always leave your 416 work number on answering machines, even though you have a 905 number, too.
42. You don't blink in January to see patients in their flimsy gowns, smoking on the hospital steps.
43. You've never, ever had to take a ride on the GO Train. (yup!)
44. You pass wind in front of your dog and say "Excuse me".
45. If you're a woman, you have a crush on that Daley-guy who does all the voice-overs for City-TV.
46. You'd forgotten there actually are restaurant inspectors in the city